Monday, January 13, 2014

In Rust, your best friend is a rock

I was taken prisoner. My cell - or whatever it is - is a shack made of a kind of corrugated iron, rusted four walls and a closed door. I tried to break down the walls with the blade of an ax made of stone with some branches and stones that were in my inventory, but it does not seem to work. At least, I could do a little 'fire warming myself with the pieces of wood that I brought with me. My jailer provokes me with food, throwing rations through the open door and closing it before I could rush out. I'm thinking of a hunger strike.

I have not even done anything to deserve this ridiculous situation. Here's what: I have not been dragged here after being stunned by bandits with a poisoned arrow. I have not been caught. There was no drama. I came in here - this was my big mistake - believing that the guy who was following would not shut the door behind me. He built this place, only he can break free.


Steam Early Access is a blessing. It offers the chance to play with some titles before they are published, as well as a way for developers to get people to pay to have their alpha and beta testers. In short, it is a mutually beneficial arrangement. Often you end up trying to make sense of something that is barely playable, with people who have no idea what to do and others who in the meantime have become self-proclaimed kings and queens of half broken play. This combination of factors causes fun, but also frustrating boredom.

It begins naked, in the middle of the desert, only in possession of a rock.
Currently there are several games of survival in alpha or beta on Steam Early Access. There DayZ, the brutal nightmare of survival zombies started out as a mod for ArmA II and has already depopulated great (provided you find a decent server). Then, still on the same subject, there is an ambitious 7 Days to Die, which allows players to create objects, real farms that domesticate animals, as well as fortify abandoned buildings to protect themselves from the hordes of zombies. The problem is that, at present, seems to be a game in 1995, and is also quite unplayable. Then there Rust - we talk once again of zombies, but instead of urban survival, here, there is dancing in the desert survival on an island full of people. And you have to watch their backs from their own! The players, in Rust, are much friendlier than in DayZ, unite to survive ... or invite you into their home and imprison you for fun.

It begins naked, in the middle of the desert, only in possession of a rock. This rock will become your best and only friend. The use to obtain wood from the trees or to hit other rocks and get more, or maybe to kill a pig to death - although, strangely, you will need to hit the corpse still a bit 'to get dressed, and animal fats, for reasons completely inexplicable, chicken breasts! It does not matter if you kill pigs, deer or any other animal: you will always get chicken breasts. Tip: do not try to cudgel a wolf or a bear with a rock, you'll make a nonsense.


No comments:

Post a Comment